Eneref Institute Journalistic Integrity
The key components of Eneref Institute initiatives include research and publishing the market obstacles to common sense solutions that can achieve effective results, and authoring compelling reports about success stories in order to recommend best practices. We respond to our research findings by advocating for them with key stakeholders.
What we will do
- Encourage civil dialogue.
- Respond to questions about accuracy and fairness.
- Verify information before releasing it.
- Use original sources whenever possible.
- Identify sources clearly.
- Encourage posting and redistribution of our reports.
- Allow others to respond to criticisms.
What we won’t do
- Deliberately distort facts or context.
- Write a report that is clearly promotional.
- Attribute quotes to someone other than the interviewee.
- Plagiarize others.
- Allow others to plagiarize our reports without attribution.
- Accept quotes that were obviously written to promote.
- Gather information surreptitiously.
Eneref wants to be protective of the goodwill inherent in legitimate brand names.
It is best for legitimate brands to have Eneref Institute, an independent third-party, use a brand name without a trademark or register mark as an endorsement of the brand. This shows—as a matter of fact— an independent party understands the name belongs to a brand’s owner. When Eneref Institute uses a brand name, in association with the brand’s owner, it is a strong, third-party argument, for the brand name, if a legal case were needed.
Secondly, a trademark is a claim of ownership. Eneref Institute has authority to claim of ownership only of its own brands, but we can make no such claim for other brands. In fact, use of a trademark or register mark in an Eneref report weakens a brand, because the mark indicates that Eneref Institute is working in cooperation with the brand. The mark in an Eneref report, therefore, dilutes the brand, because it calls into question Eneref Institute as an independent third party.
Eneref Institute gratefully acknowledges the help of the Society of Professional Journalists for our list of ethical standards.